1 – 2 large eggplants – sliced into 1cm rounds
2tbs olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1kg minced lamb
1 – 2 cups stock
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 bunch oregano or parsley chopped
500g chopped tin tomatoes
2 -3 tbs Parmesan cheese grated
Preheat oven to 190 degrees.
1. Salt eggplant slices and leave in weighted colander for 1 hour. Rinse well, pat dry and then fry eggplant, in olive oil, until golden on both sides, and softer in texture.
2. Sauté onion and garlic until golden and then add mince, flour stock and season with salt and pepper and cinnamon. Cook until all the meat is no longer pink.
3. Grease a large lasagna tray with oil and one layer of fried eggplant, top with all the meat mixture and then follow up with tinned tomatoes – spread evenly. add the rest of the eggplant to form a good layer.
4. Top with Béchamel sauce – see below and grated parmesan cheese.
5. Bake in oven for 40 minutes until golden and bubbly.
Serve with Rice and greens.
2tbs plain flour
1 – 2 cups milk
salt and pepper
grated nutmeg (optional)
1 cup grated cheddar
2 egg yolks, beaten
In a small saucepan, melt butter and then add flour. Cook for 2 minutes, then add milk stir and bring to the boil until thick. Add salt and pepper and nutmeg and stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the 2 egg yolks.